If you’re a first-time home buyer and your contract has been accepted, congratulations! Although you may feel like you’ve already gone through a lot to purchase your home, there is one final important step that must be done to complete the transaction: working with a closing attorney.
A closing attorney works with the home buyer and seller to ensure the house under contract is ready to exchange hands. Here are a few of the things you can expect from a closing attorney as you complete the home buying process:
- Title Search – A title search of the property address ensures that the sellers have a clean title they can provide during closing.
- Contract Review – The closing attorney will also review the contract between buyer and seller to make sure it’s accurate.
- Check on Liens & Taxes – It’s important to make sure there are no outstanding liens or unpaid taxes on the property that would prevent it from selling.
- Update Title Records – The closing attorney will update the title records so the property can be transferred into the new owner’s name.
- Prepare Loan Documents – Prior to your meeting, the closing attorney will also prepare the loan documents package that includes the settlement agreement for the cost of the home and where the loan will be held.
- Record Deed & Mortgage – After all of the documents are signed, the closing attorney goes to the courthouse to record the documents, so they are on file for your city, county, and state.
At TriCity Lawyers, we will be happy to act as your preferred closing attorney for your new home purchase. If you are ready to close on a home, contact us today for an appointment!